Tuesday 30 November 2010

The regiment departs


The regiment departs

This postcard dated 22nd Aug 1914 was written some 18 days after the declaration of war, it was sent from Ethel to Frank who was then stationed at "Charles Street Boys School" at Luton.
The card shows the regiment assemble at Queens Square, Walsall in readiness for the departure.
At the time of writing Ethel was working with her father in his picture framing shop at Willenhall. She remarks that the business was quiet although her father worked that evening until 11pm

 

 

 

Introduction to Frank's letter of Aug 4th 1914

Copy of letter dated: 4th Aug 1914 Copy of letter dated: 4th Aug 1914

76 Wood Street 4/8/14
Willenhall

My Dear Ethel

I thought that when I wrote to tell you I had returned to the above address tonight it would be a surprise but when I arrived home this Tuesday night at 8 o’clock and saw your post card, I found out you were awake to the situation. Well we dispersed at the drill hall after walking 34 miles towards Rhyl, and walking that distance back home, 21 miles today.
It is a disappointing time for me I can tell you, building my castles in the air for a week or so, as to what a good time we were going to have at Rhyl, a time we had never had before. We left drill hall on the order that we were not to go far from home, and when going out to leave word, where going so that we could easily be found, as they expected us to be called out at any minute. We had been in Willenhall half hour tonight, after being told the former order, and there has been a notice placed outside the drill hall and police station to the effect that we must parade at headquarters immediately.
Me and David went to Willenhall drill hall at 9 tonight to see what we were to do, and we have got to be at Wolverhampton drill hall at 8 in the morning to be dispatched out, all Terriers will be sent off tomorrow at that hour, to be sent to different places. I do not know where I shall be when you receive this letter. Ethel do not worry, and then I shall be alright and happy there's a love, there is nothing to worry about as they cannot send me out of the country. David is in a very worried state over the affair, his people have been worrying him, they think he will be shot, such nonsense, he hasn’t half been crying at home tonight before he came out to see me, he would not worry if his people would leave him alone, he was happy enough when I left him at the cars when we came from Wolverhampton until he went home, they worried the life out of him, he would not speak a word to me, and his eyes were swollen up, and he does look ill. I never saw him so worried in my life, I have tried to buck him up. He says when we get out he shall not worry so much, as his mother is the cause of most of it and then he says there is Florrie he wishes she was here, so that he could see her before he goes, well I told him what about me, no chap in the army wishes he had got his sweetheart by his side anymore than I do tonight, I could love you away. Ethel, if the worst comes you will be tested, my words to you are stand fast by my side, in hearts your love I am sure will increase, I am sure, if we are apart a while. Write to my home immediately you get this letter, and chance where I am, and I will do same as soon as I get the chance. Finally we love one another dearly and we shall stand fast, and I will make it out when we meet, it has had to be rushed. Hoping to see you at end of week, I must think I shall see you then or I should die.

Your loving boy
Believe me Dear
Frank
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copy of Letter dated 14th August 1914

14/8/14 (written on the paper of YMCA, Burton on Trent)

3rd NMFA, B Section
RAMC
Christ Church Schools
Uxbridge Street
Burton

Dear Ethel

We are now stationed at Burton, and you have my present address until I should let you know different. Burton is not so bad, we arrived here this Wednesday afternoon and we are staying at schools. Hope this letter will find you well and much brighter. Sorry I had to rush by you in such a manner, hope your mother did not think anything, did not have a chance to speak to her. Well Ethel I feel very lonely without you, I am afraid I shall have to try and get used to it. I was told today I should be a lucky chap if I had my xmas day at Willenhall. Well I hope long before then things will arrive at a peaceful end, it depends a lot on the big battle now raging. I suppose Ethel you feel very strange knowing that you may not see me for some time. Still we have strong faith in one another now. I have more in you now than ever I had, when I was always with you. But it is so, and it takes a lot of worry off ones mind when they know they can trust their own dear Sweetheart in their own absence from her, it being perhaps a long stay from one another yet she will be faithful.

You are loved by my whole heart and soul, ever I shall think of you in our absence from one another, and am confident of the same returns from you. Hope dear Ethel you are not fretting because of me, knowing we love each other from the depth of each heart will bring along happiness which will take away part of the former sorrow, both looking forward to a speedy meeting, having good courage in one another at all times, and in what part I may be forced to serve. Pleased am I that you were so proud of me when in the field at Bentley, in spite of all being in the field, you had hopes of getting a last kiss for a time. Florrie Ash will not have courage like that if she goes with David years, sticking by my side as long as you could being with me until I left the district, all that put more love, faith, courage, and made my heart glad with my loving Ethel.
Do you wish me to write all letters to Market Place, expect you do. Hope you get them all, if Federation get hold of them will they always give you letters if you are not in. Let me know all this in your letter which I shall be waiting every post now you have my address. Excuse spelling and writing if there be mistakes because I am writing in such a hurry. Goodnight my Loving Darling.

I am XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXX and shall always
XXXXXX remain your loving & Faithful Boy
XXXXXX Frank
XXXXXX think they are all real 15/02/08 by Staffordshire soldiers great war



 



Background information


.






No comments:

Post a Comment